matchreportFiries V Listry.

After these two teams drew on Sunday last the replay was eagerly awaited and it provided just as much excitement. After the drawn game many said that a goal by either side would probably have decided the game and this was the way this game went as Firies got not 1 but 2 goals. Both goals came in the first half and they were the difference between the sides. Listry started the better in this game with Derry Ahern opening the scoring from the throw in. Colm O Shea (Firies) and Joseph Clifford exchanged points in early exchanges as Listry had the better of the possession but failed to capitalize on the score board. They were to pay a high price when Dan O Connor finished a rare Firies attack to the net to give them the lead. Colm O Shea and Jack Sherwood added points to put Firies 3 points clear but Listry came back into the game to draw level with points from Gary O Sullivan (2) and Joseph Clifford. Just as the game was about to enter half time Padraig De Brun flicked a high ball to the Listry net to put them back in front and Niall McCarthy added a point to leave the half time score Firies 2-4 to Listry 0-6. The second half started with 2 quick Colm O Shea points to further increase their advantage to 6 points. A Ronan Buckley point for Listry, before Firies had their last score of the game, a point from Colm O Shea. Listry dominated the rest of the game but could only manage 3 points from Sean Lehane and Ronan Buckley (2) and even though they came close a few time they could not get the goal they needed to force the game to extra time. The goals in the first half were to be the deciding factor in this game and Firies held out to progress to the semi final where they will play Templenoe. Listry’s inability to convert possession into scores was to cost them dearly again as they would have won either games if they were successful in this department. However their return to Junior Championship was not without some success.


Leave a Reply

online casino ireland

Scroll to top