Co.League U-16 semi-final 2016.
On Wednesday the 17th August 2016 ,Keel/Listry U-16s played St.Pats in the Co.league semi-final. The game was held at St.Pats ground in Blennerville on a dark wet evening. Having been well beaten a week earlier by a physically bigger St.Pats team, the conditions on the evening weren’t any help to our boys. Unfortunately I lost my notes after the game and I must apologise now for not naming our players that scored. Keel/Listry didn’t start well and the St.Pats mid field and half forward line were putting us under pressure. St.Pats had 2 points on the board and got a fortuitous goal before we got going.Strong running with the ball by our captain on the evening Barry Keane,brought us back into the game. Last week we couldn’t win a kick out ,but,tonight the boys were more alert ,regaining possession from the St.Pats kick outs resulted in a great period of dominance from Keel/Listry. Cian Flynn and Barry Keane at mid-field were winning ball,Gearóid Murphy was strong at wing forward,Seán Foley and Killian Murphy completed a hard working half forward line and Dean Ladden, Micheál Buckley and Eoin O’Donell were all linking well in the full forward line. We hit 1-5 on the trot ,a well taken goal by Eoin O’Donell was a great team score and we were back in the game. St.Pats were always dangerous going forward and kicked some great scores. At half time the score was St.Pats 2-7 Keel/Listry 1-5. We upped the pace in the second half and started brightly .Seán Langford in goal, Mark O’Brien,Paudie Horgan and Anthony O’Shea tightened up the full back line. Gary Murphy,Killian Broderick and Liam Clifford were growing in confidence in the half back line and attacked at every opportunity. We played great football in the second half and got some great team scores.Barry Keane scored a great goal off his left foot. This was a great reward for Barry who worked very hard all evening,showed great composure despite the fact he was continously fouled. Ruairi Murphy was introduced at half time and added excitement to the full forward line. Everyone of our players gave it everything in the second half and after scoring 1-6 we looked like we could go on and win the game. St.Pats are a good side and hit back with a point here and there to keep the scoreboard ticking over .We lost Seán Langford with a wrist injury and Cian Flynn took over in goal.Darragh O’Dowd came on at mid-field. Disaster struck when a high ball into our goal mouth seemed to be under control, we lost control, could possibly have got a free out ,but,unfortunately the ball was forced over the line for a match winning goal for St.Pats. Our boys have great heart and continued to battle to the very end.A free out for Keel/Listry was overturned when tempers flared near the sideline.Still the boys battled on,we regained possession and when Barry Keane tapped down to Micheál Buckley in front of goal ,Micheál was about to shoot when the referee blew the full time whistle. A cruel finish,most thought he had blown for a penalty. Referee Gordon Kerins from Austin Stacks didn’t have a good evening. Arriving to referee a Co.league semi-final without lines men or umpires resulted in a disputed score and disputed line balls ,that wasted time and frustrated players and supporters. However, full marks to St.Pats and Keel/Listry U -16s boys. Both teams played fantastic football in difficult conditions. Best of luck to St.Pats in the final and hard luck to our wonderful boys who played their hearts out for Keel/Listry. The final score was St.Pats 3-11 Keel/Listry 2-11. Seán Evans came on near the end and it was nice to have Seán back again after a long injury.Thank you to all the parents for supporting the boys.

Leave a Reply

online casino ireland

Scroll to top