On Monday 16th June 2014, Listry/Keel U-14s played Kilcummin in the first round of the East Kerry league. On a hot evening in Listry both teams preparations were disrupted when the appointed referee failed to turn up. After some discussion it was agreed that Fergus Clifford would referee the game.
Listry/Keel started brightly but unfortunately our lighter forward line were unable to convert a lot of possession into scores.Seán Langford in goal always tried his best to find a team mate with every kick out and was quick off the line on several occasions to clear the ball.Mark O Brien at corner back had an outstanding game and was full of energy all evening.Seán Evans played his first game at full back and surprised many with a solid performance against a good Kilcummin full forward.Cian Flynn marked tightly at left corner back and was always available to take a pass and clear to the wing.At right half back Seamus Giles worked tirelessly over the hour,always looking for the ball and turning defence into attack at every opportunity.Seamus was the man of the match and scored a good point in the first half. At centre back Colin Foley was kept busy with defensive duties and again loves to attack and always works hard for the team.Liam Clifford made up a good half back line that tried to push forward all evening. At centre field Barry Keane and Micheál Buckley had to fight hard to win ball in the air but positioned themselves well to ensure the forwards still received a plentiful supply of ball.At right half forward Ronan Buchanan was faced with a tenacious defender but Ronan never gave up and worked hard to win every ball . Gearóid Murphy started at centre forward and had to move to mid field when Micheál Buckley retired with an leg injury. Gearóid would rather be nearer to goal but on this occasion his strength was needed at mid field.Killian Broderick completed the half forward line and always tried to set up a team mate for a score.Killian Murphy played at right corner forward linked up well and always made good runs to try and open up the Kilcummin defence.Sean Foley was at full forward and as always gave everything for the team.Eoin O Donnell was at left corner forward and had a super game,winning possession and also creating the all important space to the attacking forward.All three substitutes were introduced and all three were outstanding,Dylan Brennan, Joseph Courtney and Dara O Dowd. Dara O Dowd was unlucky to break his arm ,Dara was having a great game and we all wish him a speedy recovery.
Listry/Keel were behind at half time 3-5 to 3 points.Having been well beaten by Kilcummin on 2 occasions in the Co.league a lot of supporters thought it was going to be the same again.However,the team had other ideas and really came of age in the second half. Listry / Keel played great football in the second half, defended bravely and really stretched the Kilcummin defence.Listry/Keel scored 11 points in the second half to Kilcummin 2.We had several goal chances but failed to take any.I think if we scored 1 we would have won the game. On a hot evening the team never gave up and showed great team spirit. This team is playing together for the first time and with the great team work and spirit let’s hope we can build on this great display next week against Gneeveguilla,
in the next round. The final score was Kilcummin 3-7 Listry/Keel 0-14.
Thank you to Kilcummin for agreeing to the referee and thank you to Fergus Clifford for carrying out the job professionally. Thank you to both teams and management for the good behaviour.Thank you to Listry/Keel coaches Derry Ahern, Donal Murphy and Noel Murphy for excellent coaching over the last few weeks and building a nice team even though we were missing a few regular players.
Up our crowd!
Murt Broderick, Listry Coiste na nOg.


Leave a Reply

online casino ireland

Scroll to top