imageListry/Keel U-16s v Waterville/Dromid.
On Wednesday 20th of July 2016 Listry/Keel U -16s made the long journey to the sports field in Waterville to take on the locals in the second round of the Co.league. It was a dry evening with a strong wind blowing in from the Atlantic.
Listry/Keel played with the wind in the first half.Our boys started well and full forward Micheál Buckley won possession turned for goal and was fouled. Cian Flynn struck it beautifully over the bar from the ground about 30 yards out on the left wing. Mid fielder Liam Clifford kicked a great point and wing forward Killian Murphy followed with another. Both points were the result of good team play. All our forwards,Gary Murphy,Seán Foley,Killian Murphy,Dean Ladden,Micheál Buckley and Seamus Giles were working hard and all getting involved in the play. Unfortunately,we conceded a soft goal,however,it didn’t upset us and Gary Murphy,now operating at full forward responded with a super point off his left foot. Waterville/Dromid kicked the next point and again we replied when Killian Murphy after a great solo run just clipped the crossbar with a great shot.Keel/Listry were now defending as a unit,goal keeper Seán Langford,our captain Mark O’Brien,Paudie Horgan,Anthony O’Shea,Killian Broderick, Gearóid Murphy and Darragh O’Dowd were moving the ball well out of defence and setting up attacks. Cian Flynn and Liam Clifford were on the back foot a lot,but,in fairness to the new pairing they showed a great appetite for hard work. We were enjoying a lot of possession mid way through the first half but,we weren’t getting scores.Waterville/Dromid played a sweeper and moving Killian Broderick up on the sweeper worked a treat with Killian kicking 2 nice points. Another attack for our boys was rewarded with a free and again Cian struck it beautifully from the ground over the bar. Waterville/Dromid played good football in the first half and had a fantastic free taker who also kicked from the ground. With time almost up in the first half we were ahead 0-8 to 1-2. Waterville/Dromid finished the half with a well taken goal and a another point from a free to leave the half time score 0-8 to 2-3. A point down at half time and facing a strong wind in the second half. The boys responded well from the restart and after good work from Micheál Buckley,Seán Foley pounced on a loose ball in the goal mouth and finished to the net. Good pressure on the kick out and we were in possession again,after a great move Gearóid Murphy timed his run to perfection to be at the end of a string of passes to score a great goal. Cian Flynn converted another free from the ground and now things were looking good. Waterville/Dromid didn’t lie down and replied with 3 points from play and another free taken from the ground. Then the game took a turn.Killian Murphy was fouled and didn’t receive a free,play continued but,unfortunately Killian was badly injured and had to leave the field of play. Cian Lenihan replaced Killian Murphy. Our backs played very well in the second half. Mark O’Brien played a captains part and carried the ball up the field against the wind on several occasions. Liam Clifford now playing at wing back was also turning defence into attack at every opportunity. Gearóid Murphy picked up a yellow card in the first half and showed great discipline and maturity to hold the centre of the defence. Anthony O’Shea as always played his heart out and young Darragh O’Dowd also played and great game. Ruairi Murphy was introduced at half time and was fouled on route to goal after his trade mark neat turn.Again Cian Flynn from the ground ,kicked a great point. However the local boys battled bravely and only for a great save from Seán Langford and heroic defending from the lion hearted Paudie Horgan,they could have hit the net. Paudie made a save on the line that showed amazing reflexes and determination. Anthony O’Shea was very unlucky to receive a second yellow late in the game after a very honest display. Waterville/Dromid finished with two frees and a superbly struck 45 to level the game. The final score was Waterville/Dromid 2-10 Keel/Listry 2-10.Well done to both teams for providing great entertainment. A feature of the game was the fantastic free taking from the ground. Well done to our boys and best of luck to Waterville/Dromid in the remaining games. The game was refereed by Ger.McGuillicuddy from Derrynane.
We were missing Barry Keane(injured ),Eoin O’Donell(holidays ),Seán Evans (injured ),Colin Foley(injured ),Dylan Brennan (holidays ) and Diarmuid Kelliher. Thank you to all the parents for making the 5 hour round trip to Waterville. Up Keel/Listry

Leave a Reply

online casino ireland

Scroll to top