imageOn Wed the 13th July in Willie Walsh park in Knocknagoshel, Keel/Listry U -16s played Knocknagoshel/Brosna/Duagh in the first round of the Co.league. Listry played with the wind in the first half and mid-fielder Cian Flynn opened the scoring with a fine point.That was quickly followed with another point from wing forward Killian Murphy.Knock/Brosna/Duagh were getting men behind the ball and strong running from the centre forward from a deep position was working well and they kicked 3 points on the trot. Seán Langford in goal,Mark O’Brien,Paudie Horgan and Killian Broderick in the full back line were defending well and outside them Liam Clifford,Gary Murphy and Anthony O’Shea were cutting out any threat and moved the ball nicely out of defence. Barry Keane was working hard around the middle of the park and was rewarded with a well taken point. Barry scored a point from free kick but,K/B/Duagh responded with 2 nice points from play. Half forwards Seamus Giles,Seán Foley O’Brien and Killian Murphy had to work hard to break free from tight marking defenders. Dean Ladden at corner forward was creating space and Eoin O’Donell in the left corner and Micheál Buckley at full were moving nicely. Gary Murphy moved to centre forward and immediately scored a good point. Micheál Buckley after a good move found himself one on one with the keeper.The keeper made a great save but Micheál was quick to react and kicked the rebound over the bar.Eoin O’Donnell cut through and hit a rasper of a shot off the crossbar and over for a point. Knock/B/D finished the half with a well taken goal. A great first half that saw Seán Langford make a great save,super defending from Paudie Horgan and Anthony O’Shea. Barry and Cian played a lot of ball and everyone was trying hard. The score at half time was Keel/Listry 0-7 Knock/B/Duagh 1-5.
A point down at half time and our boys knew they were in a battle. All the team responded well in the second half,we were more tenacious in the tackle and supported each other going forward. Barry Keane won a free after taking some heavy tackles and popped it over. Gary Murphy followed with a point and then Knock/Brosna/Duagh hit 4 points 3 from play and one free.We were starting to create a lot of chances but our finishing left us down. Our captain on the night Anthony O’Shea,who played a great game ,blazed wide,Killian Murphy was blocked as he pulled the trigger,Seán Foley blazed wide and finally Barry Keane timed his run well to the edge of the square to receive a pass and finished neatly for a great goal. With 10 minutes to go Knock/Brosna/Duagh had a man sent off. This swung a close match in our favour.Darragh O’Dowd was introduced at half time and played a great game at centre back.Seamus Giles was brave when he won a free in a good position at the end and Barry converted.Cian Lenihan come on with 10 minutes to go and can be pleased with his performance. Diarmuid Kelliher came on for the injured Seamus Giles and Diarmuid made a good run at goal,was fouled and Barry scored the free on the 21.The final score was Knock/Brosna/Duagh 1-9 Keel/Listry 1-11. Hard luck to K/B/D and best of luck in the rest of the league. Well done to our boys, good team play and good discipline. We were missing Seán Evans(injured),Colin Foley(injured ) and Gearóid Murphy(holidays ),a lot of boys ended up in different positions and everybody reacted well to the new surroundings. Thanks boys and thank you to all the parents for supporting the boys.

Leave a Reply

online casino ireland

Scroll to top